Thursday, January 6, 2011

A New Quilt

A quilt is being born at my home (she says as if that happens every day). I'm not a great quilter. That could be because I've only made one real quilt in my life. It's hard to be great at something you haven't really ever done. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I have discovered that the real traditional quilts with blocks that have names kind of bore me. Oh, they're gorgeous, but something about the idea of making them depresses me. BUT- give me a more contemporary quilt with some of the trendy color combinations and it sings to me. Weird, because I'm not really a contemporary furnishing type of person.

So, the fabric is chosen and the strips are cut.

The strips are sewn:


And some blocks are cut:



Now I just have to do that about 45 more times! Look at that old ironing board. It's the same one I got as a wedding gift in 1971. It's a different cover- but wow. Old! And who gives an ironing board as a wedding gift? 

On the cozy front I've made a bit of headway. I've fixed up one corner of my den to be warm and inviting. You can see a bookcase peeking at the left side of the photo. It is NOT warm and inviting. It is chaos and full and tomorrow it is going to meet my inner decorator. Dust bunnies are running and old books are trying to hide. Please pay no attention to the roll up shades. They will be morphing into beautiful drapery panels any day now. Tomorrow I'll show you how nice it looks with the drawers closed. 



A few observations:

I don't know if anybody will ever really read this blog. It doesn't matter. I've discovered having a blog makes me want to do projects so that I can photograph things for the blog. Let me just do a little more...then I can take a photo. Let me go close those desk drawers and take another photo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment