Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fabric Shopping Day Trip

Today my daughter and I packed some fruit and crackers w/ peanut butter and headed to Thurmont, MD. Thurmont is a small country town near Camp David, the president's retreat in the Catoctin Mountains. The town is sleepy and quiet unless the prez is in residence at Camp David. Then the place is crawling with press.

Our destination was Discount Fabrics, USA. This is a warehouse full of home decorating fabric at really good prices. The photos are a bit fuzzy, but you'll get the idea:





































I thought I'd taken a lot more photos of the fabric. I think I got waylaid by Gracie and her brother. Two beautiful Samoyed dogs. Gracie needed lots of tummy rubs. Great dogs. I love people who bring their dogs to work.

My daughter got some wonderful fabric to recover her sofa and I got tons of ideas for my bedroom. I saw lots of fabrics that I could be happy with. I really need to narrow down the color scheme I want. There are about 4 schemes floating around my imagination right now.

My cousin came over today and did some much needed furniture repair for me. The leg on my dresser broke off when my dresser was moved a few months ago. We did a temporary fix, but it's better than it was.

I love when I (or a relative) can fix something myself and save a repair bill. I'm impressed that my daughter has researched upholstery and is going to do her own chairs and sofa.


Sometimes this "I can do anything myself" can be carried too far.

My ex husband had the DIY bug even worse than I do. We used to live in a home where the sewer would back up into the basement from time to time. He would go to the rental place and rent a - ummmm....I don't even know what to call the machine. It was a 2 person job and I was person #2 (no pun intended). And it was disgusting! And then I found out that a company called Roto Rooter (or any plumber) comes equipped with that same machine. At the time they charged $60 to clean a sewer line. (It was the 80's and plumber fees hadn't reached the bank account draining level that they are today.) We paid $25 to rent the machine. Believe me, it was NOT worth saving $35 to do this job ourselves.

Ahhhh, good times.

It's bitter cold tonight. I'm going to get into flannel jammies, get my book and get under a blanket. Tomorrow will be some office work in the morning. Some personal paperwork in the afternoon and a belated Christmas with my neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment