Monday, January 31, 2011

I Heart Veggies

We have another storm coming- this one will be mostly ice. I had to make the obligatory stop at the grocery store on the way home to prepare. (I actually did need toilet paper.) I was out of fruits and veggies too and my newly adopted oh so healthy lifestyle needs fresh fruits and veggies. Plus I got a really cute new grocery bag. No, I did not need it. I've never met a bag I didn't have to have. It's a sickness I tell you. But look at how cute it is:


Look at my bounty from Whole Foods- amazing fruits and veggies:



I read a healthy eating tip that said if you put healthy snacks at eye level in your fridge you will be more likely to stick to the healthy eating program. I put a lazy susan in my fridge and I love the results:



Now that I've taken the photo I can put the heavy cream back! :) I do have a small carton of heavy cream. It's left over from something I made at Christmas. I'm not using it, but it hasn't expired. I can't throw it out until it expires. That will make sense only to some of you. 

So, I am prepared with rutabagas, sweet potatoes, cauliflower and lots of other veggies. I have honeycrisp apples and navel oranges that cost more than a prime rib used to cost. I have green bananas that will be ready to eat some time next week. I have chicken, hanger steak and salmon. And I pray that we don't lose power. If we do, I will have nothing but a mess. 

There's something intrinsically satisfying about stocking up on "whatever" in preparation for a storm. It fulfills some sort of nesting instinct I've always had. I love the idea of my home being my sanctuary. It's a safe place to rest, relax, create and learn. It's the most comfortable place on earth. How many times have you been on a fabulous vacation, but nothing feels better than when you get home and sleep in your own bed?  And now I am going to go crawl under the covers of my own bed, read a book and watch the weather. Tomorrow is another day for more organizing and putting more sanctuary-ness in place. 

Observation: I do feel like my home is my sanctuary, until I open some of my closet doors. Yikes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment