Sunday, May 1, 2011

Linens And Things

I am 99.9% done with a complete redo of my bedroom. I need one more day of weekend! No such luck.

I love the bedroom. It is restful and serene. I love the ivory with touches of gold here and there. I love being surrounded by lace and linens that Hannie, Mannie and Nora made over 100 years ago. I've always been so fascinated by these ancestors! I know they were very superstitious. A hat was NEVER to be put on a bed. I'm not sure what would happen, but it would be very, very bad! During a thunderstorm they gathered in a closet and said the Litany Of The Saints. In Latin. They must not have invented martinis yet! Ora pro nobis. And I am sure there were a few Mea Culpas thrown in for good measure.

Some of their lacework mounted on a surface over my bed. It still needs a frame- so this is a bit temporary and unfinished looking. The color on my walls photographed funny. It is actually a very rich neutral called Parchment. Not butter yellow as it looks here.


Tea cloth wrapped into a bolster pillow.


My grandmother's Christening gown, made by H,M&N.

New linen curtains with nice pin tuck detail. The mirror over the vanity needs hanging. 

Perfume bottles that belonged to Hannie, Mannie and Nora, plus a little cut glass vase with a sprig of lily of the valley from my garden.

I got a lot of garden work done this weekend too.....but first a look at my little lily of the valley spring in several surroundings.




I love container gardening...
Part of my shade garden area along with my dirty drought ridden bird bath. Yes, sadly, all the birds in my neighborhood are in dire need of a bath. It is my fault that they are dirty. Mea culpa. 


New hummingbird feeder. 


Part of patio area with new flowers. I still need to finish my cushions and a few other things in order to call the patio done. I need TWO more weekend days. 


And finally my one decorating dilemma in my bedroom. My treadmill sits in the corner. It is not pretty. It does fold up so doesn't take up a whole lot of space. I'm wondering if a small room screen would be better. I don't know. I think I just have to learn to live with it. I listened to a workshop about exercise this week that had some amazing statistics about how exercise affects the brain, wards off Alzheimers, Parkinisons, is good for ADD and thighs all at the same time. So maybe this little corner of the room isn't so ugly after all. The tablecloth hanging off the end of the treadmill is NOT doing a good job of hiding it.  I need to come to terms with the fact that I cannot hide it. I am going to bed now and ponder the question of how to make this corner attractive. I'll be back with a full report. 


No comments:

Post a Comment