Saturday, May 21, 2011

Three Busy Weeks

I shouldn't even bother to unpack in May. I just finished two road trips to Virginia, and I'm Virginia bound again next week for a business trip.

Road trip #1 was four wonderful days in the mountains with my friends. It's probably the most relaxing place I know. We went to the farmer's market and a wonderful art fair where I bought a mixed media art piece and a mug that still has my friend Sue rolling her eyes. It was hand painted with a sheep and the colors are great and it was soooo shiny!!!

I love this mug- it holds my whole pot of French Press coffee in the morning. And did I mention the sheep? White sheep and a black sheep.




My Girl Gladys at the mountains....still very shy, but getting better every time I see her. (Gladys has social anxiety.) This photo is not in great focus, but I love the pose. Is she not the cutest dog? Look at that face. And those ears. Silky ears. And look at those woods outside of the window. 


Next I went back to Virginia for the wedding of the daughter of some friends. It was held at the UVA Chapel and was absolutely breathtaking. I took a lot of photos but found that I had none of people once I got home. But I've got some great shots of the chapel. It's a beautiful Gothic structure, built in the early 1800's. 









The reception was held at Keswick Hall, a 5 star resort out in the countryside. A pricy place, but worth every penny if you are up for a little rest and relaxation in the countryside of Virginia.

This photo is taken from their website, because my photos were over exposed and under focused. Thinking you can learn to take photos on manual settings without practicing is not the best idea I've ever had.  Look at those grounds. Well, actually it overlooks a golf course. I'm not a golfer, but it was gorgeous. 




The next day I went to Monticello, the home Thomas Jefferson built in Charlottesville, VA. It was an amazing tour. He was a complex man. He built a complex home and had complex, conflicted views of slavery. He didn't believe a man could or should own another man, but he was afraid to free his slaves. He was as kind to his slaves as slavery could allow. He did not beat them or shackle them. But he owned them, he inventoried them and gifted his daughter with slaves at her marriage. Our tour guide, who was African American, said that it was not PC to speak of slavery either pro or con during his time. 

 His gardens, his writing, his books, his adapted inventions all show a man way ahead of his time. His private chamber consisted of his bedroom, his study and his library. It was all adjacent to his greenhouse.  His love of books, nature, writing and learning was in evidence everywhere I looked. 





It was a fabulous tour. I'm not much of a site seer, but this was well worth the price of the ticket, the shuttle ride to the top of the mountain and the waking. 


 Amazing gnarled tree at Monticello.
 Slave quarters. A family typically lived in a small one room area.

 Old time version of the cook top!
 Wine making at Monticello..... Thomas Jefferson loves his wine and tried to grow wine grapes in Virginia. He did not succeed, but others did later.

Meanwhile, back the the ranch...

The garden grows just fine without me...


It's good to be home this weekend, even if I am packing yet again. Today I indulged in a manicure, a very small amount of house work, listening to a book on tape while playing with some hand lettering techniques. 



What do you mean you are going away again? We are not amused.














No comments:

Post a Comment